Answers to questions in Black Box – names
This page had two sections in it to cover the meanings of
- Black Box and
- Eucalyptus largiflorens
The answers to the questions in each group are below:
Common Name ‘Black Box’
- 1 These trees often look have a dark, almost black, trunk from a distance. Close-up, the trunk can range from white, through greys to black in the deep fissures (cracks in the bark)
‘Box’ refers to a group of trees with bark that has these common features:
- 2 The bark looks like rough and tough, with fibres at the edges of the pieces that make it up.
- 3 It is has a rough feel to it.
- 4 The bark comes off in small matted bits of fibre.
Scientific Name Eucalyptus largiflorens
Eucalyptus refers to trees that have gumnuts. They have three main parts: caps, cups and blossom.
- 5 The cap is just starting to split open to let the blossom come out of the cup underneath.
- 6 The open blossom is a flower that sits in a cup, and is made up of many stamen with anthers at their ends. This is three main parts.
- 7 There are about 50 stamen on these flowers.
- 8 The anthers look like tiny yellow dots on the ends of the stamen.
- 9 There is a huge number of flowers on the tree. Hence the name largi (abundant) florens (flowers) .