Answers to questions in “Features“
This page has answers to the questions asked about the photos of the different features of a Black Box tree:
- trunks – no questions
- 1 The cracks are often wider than adult thumb width.
- 2 The fibres mostly go up and down the trunk, so that the bark can wrap around the trunk.
- 3 The colour of this bark close up is greys and browny greys.
- 4 The Black Box blossom is white with yellow dots on the end of the stamens,, sitting in a lime green cup. ( But sometimes pink flowers also develop!)
- 5 The Black Box cup is a cup shape.
- 6 The nectar that the birds and insects come for is in the base of the cup.
- 7 The Black Box fruit is tiny, cup or goblet shaped and a dark brown colour.
- 8 The cup remains on the fruit. (The cap came off to let the blossom come out.)
- 9 The Black Box leaf is an olive green, with a long narrow spear- like shape and a curved tip at the end.
- 10 The Black Box leaf has a noticeable lime green main vein.