This page contains links to my environmental education articles written quarterly since 2010 for the Otherways magazine, published by the Home Education Network in Victoria. Underlying them , I am inspired by, and a supporter of, the UN Decade of Biodiversity’s theme “Living in harmony with Nature”.
My environmental education activities and resources have been aligned to each year’s special events since 2010. The series of articles is below by year. One of my aims in this series has been to provide access to quality information about biodiversity and other environmental issues, ways to understand it and get involved in it to people who are isolated for one reason or another.
I live on a farm in the Wimmera, Victoria. I home educated my son for 13 years, and he’s now finished university by on-line study. So I have a real interest in people who are more isolated than city folk. As an environmental educator, I can offer activities for people to use and adapt. This enviroed4all website aims to do that. I have been writing a series of articles on environmental education for the Victorian Home Education Network’s magazine, Otherways, * since 2010. This library contains mostly my Otherways series of articles on environmental education, with its focus on Biodiversity and sustainability. You can go directly to the articles below or see a summary on the main page for each year below.
2017 – the International Year (IY) of Sustainable Tourism for Development
Tourism is big business and the UNESCO IYSTD aimed to focus on how tourism, how it can impact on recipient places and how we as tourists could contribute better to improving these places and their peoples. These articles for ‘Otherways’ were written to introduce the IYSTD by putting ‘tourism’ into the new F-10 Victorian curriculum, the Australian Curriculum priority for Sustainability Education, and introducing the new 2030 UN Sustainable Development Goals, while exploring where we Australians may travel locally through to globally, as different types of tourists, and what behaviours we could adopt. :
- Tourism- More than you imagine Otherways magazine, Feb 2017, issue 151, pp 24-25
- Our World of Tourism, Otherways magazine May 2017, issue 152, pp 28-29
- Sustainability in Tourism? , Otherways magazine, August 2017, issue 153, pp 29-30
- Development and Tourism , Otherways magazine, October 2017, issue 154, pp 26-27
2016 – the International Year (IY) of Pulses.
Living in the Wimmera, I am located in a major Pulse growing region, and currently developing a school education program for this, part of which will be shared in the Otherways series of articles this year. What are pulses? That’s where I start, linking it with thinking and learning skills:
- From Soils to Pulses Otherways magazine , Feb issue 147, pp 29-30
- Grow Pulses for Science, Otherways magazine May 2016, issue 148, pp 29-30
- Nutritious Pulses , Otherways magazine, August 2016, issue 149, pp 32-33
- Our Pulses & the world , Otherways magazine, October 2016, issue 150, pp 30-31
2015 – the International Year (IY) of Soils.
Being part of a family farm, an environmental educator and a Geographer, the theme for this IY Soils Healthy soils for a healthy life is very important, so I created special projects Soil Selfies, and Snooping into Soils for it and a third enviroed4all(R) website Soils . I hope you will look at that too. The environmental education articles all focussed on soils:
- Celebrating-soils–Otherways magazine issue 143, pp 29-30
- Learning-at-Global-Soils-Week – Otherways magazine issue 144 pp 26-27
- Soil-tests– Otherways magazine issue 145 pp 24-25
- WHEG-investigating-soils – Otherways magazine 145 p 26
- Sustainability-for-soils– Otherways magazine issue 146 pp 24-25
2014 – IY of Family Farming; IY of Small Island Developing States
Being part of a family farm and an environmental educator the theme Feeding the world , caring for the Earth for this IY Family Farming is especially relevant to me, so I have created special projects for it and a second website family farms . I hope you will look at that too. Small Island Developing States does not get much media, so I started with it for these articles in 2014 and added in the IYFamily farming later in the year.
- From shape sleuths to island sleuths – Otherways Magazine Issue 139 pp 32-33
- Island Sleuthing: from floods to food Otherways Magazine issue 140 pp 31-32
- Sleuth into Food Growing for Families Otherways Magazine (issue 141) pp30-31
- Sustainability Sleuthing Otherways Magazine (issue 142) pp29-30
With the centenary of the first departure of troops for the Great War, I also provided History/maths/geogrpraphy/ ICT activities on the ships, men and horses and research on-line under “The First Fleet of ANZEF of November 1914″ and “Finding ANZEF faces” in Otherways magazine (issue 142) pp 21-22 and on this webpage at ANZEF departure
2013 Maths of Planet Earth; IYof Statistics; IY of Water Cooperation
There is lots to communicate! I began with a focus on the curriculum changes and then moved into activities for the Maths of Planet Earth, linking the other events in with it as the year progressed.
- Living Things on our farmlands – Otherways Magazine Issue 135 pp 25
- Are we the revolt – Otherways Magazine Issue 135 pp 5-7
- Aust Curriculum – Otherways Magazine issue 135 pp 18-19
- Literacy to Numeracy for Nature- Otherways Magazine issue 135 pp 29-30
- Maths in nature the shape of leaves- Otherways magazine issue 135 pp 34-35
- Shape Sleuths at the Creek – Otherways magazine issue 136 pp 28-29
- Number Sleuths up in Space – Otherways magazine issue 137 p 31
- Look down shape sleuths on Earth – Otherways magazine issue 138 pp31-2
2012 United Nations Decade of Biodiversity, Australian Year of the Farmer; National Year of Reading
I began with a focus on the UNDB and then added both the national years to this.
- Living in Harmony Otherways issue 131
- Farming, Sustainability and Science Otherways issue 132
- Love 2 Read Otherways issue 133
- Nature Images Otherways 134 Learning about Nature from images Otherways issue 134 pp 14-16
2011 IY of Forests; IY of Chemistry.
This was both the I continued the series of articles on Biodiversity activities, firstly with a focus on Forests and then combining Forests and Chemistry.
- From_Biod_to_Forests Otherways issue 127 pp 15-16
- ‘River_Red_Gums’ Otherways issue 128 pp 31-32
- ‘chem_models_link_to_forests’ Otherways issue 129 pp 29-30
- ‘carbon_in_&_from_forests’ Otherways issue 130 pp 34-35
- National Water Wk 2011 Water quality, a small wetland and tourism Otherways magazine issue 130 page 38
2010 IY of Biodiversity (2010)
had the theme ‘Biodiversity is life, Biodiversity is our life’. My articles were to encourage observations and caring for living things from experiences in gardens locally. The articles were:
- Let’s_go_to_ the Creek – Ideas on Environmental Education Otherways issue 123 pp 8-10
- Biodiversity_in_our_garden. Otherways issue 123 p 11
- Building_skills_by_garden_investigations Otherways issue 124 p10-11
- Complexity_ and_ change. Otherways issue 125 pp 20-22
- newcomers_invaders_losses_&_action Otherways issue 126 pp18-21
- Exploring Biod for NSW 2010 Otherways magazine issue 126 page 22
* Thankyou to Sue Wight and the Editorial team of Otherways for making this series possible. The Home Education Network is a volunteer organisation, as are the contributions its website http://www.home-ed.vic.edu.au. and articles in its magazine Otherways. To find Otherways on the web, go to the website and look for back issues under the ‘Resources’ tab with back issues. Copies of Otherways can be purchased online.
Page updated 25 April 2013, 6 Dec 2013, 7 April 2014, 8 Dec 2014, 20 Jan 2016, 18 feb 2016, 20 Jan 2017